kids under 2-12years of age should never be given personal portable devices such as smartphones, tablets etc. They can use smartphones of their parents for playing games or something else but within some limits as described below.
In the United States children aged between 8-12 spend 4-6 hours a day watching screen including computers, smartphones, Tv, gaming consoles etc. And adults or teens spend 9 hours a day watching screen which is too much. Spending too much time watching a screen can damage your eyesight. Nowadays the majority of the kids play Pubg game. It is the responsibility of parents to stop them from playing that type of addicted games because it will increase their screen time.
Do not give a personal tablet or smartphone to your child because according to common sense media, children aged between 3-8 years have their own tablet device and spend an average of about 2.25 hours a day on digital screens, which can result in thinning of the brain’s cortex and also narrowing their focus of interest and limiting their other means of exploration and learning Said by Dr Jennifer F.Cross at NewYork-Presbyterian Komansky Children’s Hospital. screen time for kids
According to one of the survey report in 2015 in the UK, 49-50% of parents agreed that when they were busy, so, giving a screen to kids is the best way to keep them distracted. But in fact, this is not good. This is one of the reason that nowadays children spend most of the time with a screen instead of parents and parents are held responsible for this.
One of the major question that parents ask is that how much how much screen time is safe for their kids?
Most of a baby’s brain development happens in the first few years of life. Allowing children’s in the early year of their life excess use of screens will have bad effects on their cognitive and social development.
Parents should monitor screen time for kids.
Right Amount Of Screen Time For Kids:
The America Academy Of Pediatrics has some recommendations in this regard which are the following:
1. For Kids Under 18-24 Months:
Parents should not give screen to their kids under 18 months because if parents allowed their kids under 18 months to use screen then their mental and physical development will be very disturbed or slowed. And there are chances of poor eyesight.
2. For Children aged between 2-5 years:
Parents should also not allow their child aged between 2-5 years to use a screen for more than 1 hour a day and 3 hours on weekend but not continuously. Don’t allow your child to watch the cartoon to movies during mealtime.
3. Young Adults Aged Between 18-24 Years:
Young adults should have more screen just for study purpose time but within some limits because excess screen time can cause depression problems in adults and teens.
Bad Effects Of Excess Screen Time For kids:
There are so many bad effects of excess screen time. Excess screen time can cause so many medical problems in kids. It can weaken their eye sights because tablets or smartphones emit high energy radiations.
Excess use of screen ( tablets or smartphones) can decrease kids focus and interest in studies.
Kids aged under 2-3 may have cognitive problems due to excess screen time.
children who use digital media in excess have a 10% greater chance of developing Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) which is a brain disorder that affects behaviours. It happens in kids also in teens and adults. Boys are more likely to have it than girls
In teenagers, excess screen time can cause depression problems.
Tips To Supervise Screen Time For Kids:
It is very important to supervise and limit screen time for kids and is one of the most difficult task for parents. Here we are giving you some tips that will help you in supervising and limiting screen time for kids.
- First of all, install parental control software on your child phone and keep a check on him that which type of apps or media he uses. Any app or media that creates violence should be avoided.
- Tell your child the advantages and disadvantages of the internet and media that he/she didn’t share personal info with anyone and set usage rules and limits for him.
- Tell your child the purpose of ads. Tell him about good ads and bad ads. To keep safe your child from bad or immoral ads install ad-blocker in his/her phone.
- Through parental control software you can block your child from entering the spam or harmful website.
- Tell your child that there are some organizations and people on internet who steal personal info from user. so, you should use internet very carefully.
- Ad-blocker must be installed in your child phone but if it is not installed then tell him not to click on ads.